annoyances
Up to this day, despite asking a few people, I haven't figured out why people abbreviate 'tomorrow' to 'tml' instead of 'tmr'. It's like how the Japanese pronounce 'r' as 'l'. Except given that this is used in a Singaporean context, it might be meant to imitate Singlish!
The horror.
My LAWR teacher is very strong on the style that she likes and doesn't like. For example, she doesn't like the passive voice, starting paragraphs with 'In A v B (cause it doesn't tell you anything about what's going to be said in that paragraph), and things that are not substantiated by evidence. She also asked our class not to give short forms for people's names until the facts and discussion sections, which come after issues and brief answer.
When I was younger I used to be really irritated with teachers who said stuff in a Singlish way (as is common when you choose to do science), and people who spelt stuff wrong, and messed up past and present tense (which comes naturally to me if I think about it). But I realise that it's really tough for the people who have to deal with that constant vigilance of a spelling nazi. :)
But it really does do the other party good in the end. Which is something you can say for many bitter, awful things.
***
VIVA tomorrow! Meep.
Alaris
The horror.
My LAWR teacher is very strong on the style that she likes and doesn't like. For example, she doesn't like the passive voice, starting paragraphs with 'In A v B (cause it doesn't tell you anything about what's going to be said in that paragraph), and things that are not substantiated by evidence. She also asked our class not to give short forms for people's names until the facts and discussion sections, which come after issues and brief answer.
When I was younger I used to be really irritated with teachers who said stuff in a Singlish way (as is common when you choose to do science), and people who spelt stuff wrong, and messed up past and present tense (which comes naturally to me if I think about it). But I realise that it's really tough for the people who have to deal with that constant vigilance of a spelling nazi. :)
But it really does do the other party good in the end. Which is something you can say for many bitter, awful things.
***
VIVA tomorrow! Meep.
Alaris
Post a Comment