comfort
I love walking back home late at night, with darkness as my cloak. It's not like walking at night near a HDB area, in that you don't suddenly see strangers from far and wonder who they are and what they're hiding. It's a comfortable sort of darkness, just you and the night.
There's a limit to how much I like interacting with people. In most of my relationships I like knowing my friends deeply, but not seeing them often. There's a sort of wall I feel I must put up, because I just can't stand the demands on my time made when they're used to me. I just feel a very strong No come rising out of me. But I do need people that I can know well, and who know me well. The more a friend has grown to understand me, the more I appreciate them, because they actually care enough to try to understand.
I suppose school is the exception, because then the focus is often more on paying attention in lectures than interacting with your friends. You might think the focus is your friends because that really means more to you, but most of the sheer time is really spent writing down notes during lectures.
I won't attempt to understand myself tonight. That will be all.
On a somewhat related note, something that I read recently:
They say that opposites attract. I've heard this. Haven't you? I don't know what you believe, but I think that it's true. The trouble is, between attraction and understanding there can be a very great distance. Too great for any one individual, no matter how strong and powerful, to cross on her or his own. It is a distance which must be crossed by both, together. How long this takes is not important. What matters is that the journey commence in the first place, that the parties involved move steadily toward one another until, at long last, each is safe in the other's outstretched arms.
- Sunlight and Shadow
There's a limit to how much I like interacting with people. In most of my relationships I like knowing my friends deeply, but not seeing them often. There's a sort of wall I feel I must put up, because I just can't stand the demands on my time made when they're used to me. I just feel a very strong No come rising out of me. But I do need people that I can know well, and who know me well. The more a friend has grown to understand me, the more I appreciate them, because they actually care enough to try to understand.
I suppose school is the exception, because then the focus is often more on paying attention in lectures than interacting with your friends. You might think the focus is your friends because that really means more to you, but most of the sheer time is really spent writing down notes during lectures.
I won't attempt to understand myself tonight. That will be all.
On a somewhat related note, something that I read recently:
They say that opposites attract. I've heard this. Haven't you? I don't know what you believe, but I think that it's true. The trouble is, between attraction and understanding there can be a very great distance. Too great for any one individual, no matter how strong and powerful, to cross on her or his own. It is a distance which must be crossed by both, together. How long this takes is not important. What matters is that the journey commence in the first place, that the parties involved move steadily toward one another until, at long last, each is safe in the other's outstretched arms.
- Sunlight and Shadow
Post a Comment