Just a short update! (Or Litany of Thoughts, actually)
Supposed to be doing CLT now, but I had to write first. :) After yesterday's dire post (am not sure if I am using the word correctly), Ggy finally switched to his Singapore card so that I could call him, and we went out to IMM to get The Present. :)
We ate Ajisen Ramen! :) I used to eat Tontoro exclusively - it was my first order when I tried Ajisen, and I liked it enough to continue eating it. But one day I ate it while I was sick and couldn't smell. Ever since then, the taste has been a bit off for me. So I got Nan Kotsu, which has bits of pork with melted fat in between. Sounds like it tastes bad, but melted fat is actually good, whereas solid pieces are bad. No idea how they cook it like that!
I wasn't even mad when ggy was late, so demoralised was I. :P But then I also could walk around in the library instead, and one book called out to me (literally, I walked to it from afar to read the blurbs). I made plans for borrowing it after exams. Because I am really trying not to get Too distracted. When I start a book, I finish it within a day usually, and so I push everything else aside. Anyway, if it is good I will probably write about it here. :)
So we walked to IMM and caught up with each other and looked at all the jewellery stores again, after we realised that the pearl pendant I'd almost 100% decided on was not in stock anymore. We also went to Esprit and G2000 and Fox. Btw, Fox is selling the FOX sweaters again! I remember I'd wanted one a lot in RJ, but then when I decided it was time to buy a jacket it was not the jacket season anymore (I wanted to wait until other stuff on my wishlist was ticked off before getting the jacket, I think).
So I saw it again, but I realised it is really thick and I'd have to pull it on and off over my head when transitioning from air-con to non air-con. Troublesome. :( So I have crossed it off my list of things I regret not buying!
We finally decided on a necklace from Soo Kee. :) The salesperson was really nice (and not suspicious or condescending, as some others can be when you look young). He let me look at whatever I wanted, even stuff he knew was way above my budget. However ggy says his product knowledge is not very good, and I agree, because he couldn't really explain where the pearl was from. (Ggy noticed this when another customer came in, and they were asking why the diamond has condensation when you breathe on it. The guy said it was because diamond was carbon, but Ggy was sure it was because diamond has high thermal conductivity. I believe ggy!)
Anyway, the salesperson packaged up the thing nicely and Ggy took a picture so I could send my sister. (I'd wanted to buy it earlier to post to my sister, but that night my mother was very tired and had to finish her Australian tax returns before she went off to Korea. She is coming back tonight. Oh and my mother insisted post is not reliable. Even when I suggested registered post! It will prob get to my sister when her friend comes back to Singapore in Dec, and handcarries it to Manchester.) :)
I felt much happier after that, almost healed.
*
So today. I was supposed to wake up at 8am, my trial was at 4pm. I'd wanted to do CLT or Something first. Ended up re-writing my closing and going over my XX to underline key phrases so I would be able to see what the question was about more easily. I did this half while watching Survivor, which my sister was watching on playback. :) I LOVE Survivor! Because it keeps having more seasons, and it's so comforting to tape it on a Friday night and watch it on a weekend.
I got to school about 2.20, and unloaded my stuff in the LSIRC room. Someone left an almost-empty soya bean can there, it was kinda gross to lift it because it stuck to the table. :?
Then Florence messaged me that she was in the Summit revising stuff and I didn't have to rush (we were supposed to meet at 3.30). So I picked her up and brought her to the room. Florence advocated using facebook games to de-stress just before trial, but I didn't follow her advice. :P
Ggy came along; he was my timekeeper since Florence thought she might have to go early.
We went up about twenty minutes early. It was in SR 2-1; after awhile LT arrived. At around 4.30, Na'imah arrived. Then LT suddenly asked, "Aren't you __'s daughter?"
"Yup."
"No wonder you look so familiar! I shall tell my husband!"
My heart stopped.
Anyway.
We first established that Ggy was to be the timekeeper. He'd made cute green flash-cards sometime while I was revising my stuff in the LSIRC room. (If he took your post-it notes, I'm sincerely sorry. But they were put to good use!)
The Opening went well, LT didn't ask anything I think. Then came EIC. I suddenly realised that I would have to continue on without a break. But I hadn't brought a pen to the stand to make notations. :(
I continued though. I kinda died when LT stopped me from asking questions about events I hadn't properly adduced yet. Esp since I had no way to annotate what I'd gone through or not, and couldn't really go back to them properly. This was all my fault, cause I'd prepared EIC by thinking, what must I ask about Frank? Then what about Bella? And I'd done Frank before Bella without realising it would mess up what questions I could ask. Everyone, DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE. (Or the pen one. Or the not-checking-email one).
Re-X was okay, considering that in Moots my weakest point had always been that small period of time you get to respond to your opponent. But she asked a few questions to the witness too, after I'd finished, so I guess I could improve on that (although she thought that the flask was a big part of my case theory, when I treated it as a relatively small part).
Then was my XX. She liked it! :) :) :) I didn't realise until she gave comments though. So I was just happy that my witness conceded stuff he oughtn't to have (a world apart from Bing, who pretends not to know stuff that's in the Confidential Statement). I must really thank Kay Hian for his advice to control the witness tightly! I sometimes pressured him into saying yes/no while he was flipping to the page I'd told him about. :P
My Closing. It was okay. :) She asked me questions on the things I'd thought she would, so I was prepared, although at times I had to search for words.
Comments after: She really liked my XX, asked me whether it was a typed document, and asked if I could send it to her. Didn't say much about my opening or closing, but I liked a few lines I had put in it. Which Ggy told me made it sound like a story. +_+ But that's good I think.
To Improve On: EIC. I really understand why she was criticising it. Also, on not sounding scared. Ggy said my opponent and I both sounded scared, which affects how powerful your opening/closing sounds, I think. But I think I answered questions reasonably well. Ahem.
After that Florence had to go off. Ggy and I went to Burger Shack, where we ate nice things (Food and fries and Reverso and Cookies and Cream ice cream), and it rained, and I typed up my XX fully because I'd made some changes to it in pen, and then we went home. The rain sounds very nice outside my window now and I will now begin CLT. Yes, after I post this (and reply my tag board)!
Much thanks again to everyone who was willing to discuss trial advo with me. I really think people gain from practicing their Opening/Closing/EIC/XX on other people and hearing their critique. I guess most lawyers are like that - not naturally able to construct the best case, but doing it through hard work?
Anyway, it gives me hope because I think I am quite obtuse in some areas.
HAPPY! :)
Gratefully yours,
Alaris
P.s. I realised I forgot to thank God. But I should, because yesterday singing Christian songs made me feel not so hopeless. Yeah!
We ate Ajisen Ramen! :) I used to eat Tontoro exclusively - it was my first order when I tried Ajisen, and I liked it enough to continue eating it. But one day I ate it while I was sick and couldn't smell. Ever since then, the taste has been a bit off for me. So I got Nan Kotsu, which has bits of pork with melted fat in between. Sounds like it tastes bad, but melted fat is actually good, whereas solid pieces are bad. No idea how they cook it like that!
I wasn't even mad when ggy was late, so demoralised was I. :P But then I also could walk around in the library instead, and one book called out to me (literally, I walked to it from afar to read the blurbs). I made plans for borrowing it after exams. Because I am really trying not to get Too distracted. When I start a book, I finish it within a day usually, and so I push everything else aside. Anyway, if it is good I will probably write about it here. :)
So we walked to IMM and caught up with each other and looked at all the jewellery stores again, after we realised that the pearl pendant I'd almost 100% decided on was not in stock anymore. We also went to Esprit and G2000 and Fox. Btw, Fox is selling the FOX sweaters again! I remember I'd wanted one a lot in RJ, but then when I decided it was time to buy a jacket it was not the jacket season anymore (I wanted to wait until other stuff on my wishlist was ticked off before getting the jacket, I think).
So I saw it again, but I realised it is really thick and I'd have to pull it on and off over my head when transitioning from air-con to non air-con. Troublesome. :( So I have crossed it off my list of things I regret not buying!
We finally decided on a necklace from Soo Kee. :) The salesperson was really nice (and not suspicious or condescending, as some others can be when you look young). He let me look at whatever I wanted, even stuff he knew was way above my budget. However ggy says his product knowledge is not very good, and I agree, because he couldn't really explain where the pearl was from. (Ggy noticed this when another customer came in, and they were asking why the diamond has condensation when you breathe on it. The guy said it was because diamond was carbon, but Ggy was sure it was because diamond has high thermal conductivity. I believe ggy!)
Anyway, the salesperson packaged up the thing nicely and Ggy took a picture so I could send my sister. (I'd wanted to buy it earlier to post to my sister, but that night my mother was very tired and had to finish her Australian tax returns before she went off to Korea. She is coming back tonight. Oh and my mother insisted post is not reliable. Even when I suggested registered post! It will prob get to my sister when her friend comes back to Singapore in Dec, and handcarries it to Manchester.) :)
I felt much happier after that, almost healed.
*
So today. I was supposed to wake up at 8am, my trial was at 4pm. I'd wanted to do CLT or Something first. Ended up re-writing my closing and going over my XX to underline key phrases so I would be able to see what the question was about more easily. I did this half while watching Survivor, which my sister was watching on playback. :) I LOVE Survivor! Because it keeps having more seasons, and it's so comforting to tape it on a Friday night and watch it on a weekend.
I got to school about 2.20, and unloaded my stuff in the LSIRC room. Someone left an almost-empty soya bean can there, it was kinda gross to lift it because it stuck to the table. :?
Then Florence messaged me that she was in the Summit revising stuff and I didn't have to rush (we were supposed to meet at 3.30). So I picked her up and brought her to the room. Florence advocated using facebook games to de-stress just before trial, but I didn't follow her advice. :P
Ggy came along; he was my timekeeper since Florence thought she might have to go early.
We went up about twenty minutes early. It was in SR 2-1; after awhile LT arrived. At around 4.30, Na'imah arrived. Then LT suddenly asked, "Aren't you __'s daughter?"
"Yup."
"No wonder you look so familiar! I shall tell my husband!"
My heart stopped.
Anyway.
We first established that Ggy was to be the timekeeper. He'd made cute green flash-cards sometime while I was revising my stuff in the LSIRC room. (If he took your post-it notes, I'm sincerely sorry. But they were put to good use!)
The Opening went well, LT didn't ask anything I think. Then came EIC. I suddenly realised that I would have to continue on without a break. But I hadn't brought a pen to the stand to make notations. :(
I continued though. I kinda died when LT stopped me from asking questions about events I hadn't properly adduced yet. Esp since I had no way to annotate what I'd gone through or not, and couldn't really go back to them properly. This was all my fault, cause I'd prepared EIC by thinking, what must I ask about Frank? Then what about Bella? And I'd done Frank before Bella without realising it would mess up what questions I could ask. Everyone, DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE. (Or the pen one. Or the not-checking-email one).
Re-X was okay, considering that in Moots my weakest point had always been that small period of time you get to respond to your opponent. But she asked a few questions to the witness too, after I'd finished, so I guess I could improve on that (although she thought that the flask was a big part of my case theory, when I treated it as a relatively small part).
Then was my XX. She liked it! :) :) :) I didn't realise until she gave comments though. So I was just happy that my witness conceded stuff he oughtn't to have (a world apart from Bing, who pretends not to know stuff that's in the Confidential Statement). I must really thank Kay Hian for his advice to control the witness tightly! I sometimes pressured him into saying yes/no while he was flipping to the page I'd told him about. :P
My Closing. It was okay. :) She asked me questions on the things I'd thought she would, so I was prepared, although at times I had to search for words.
Comments after: She really liked my XX, asked me whether it was a typed document, and asked if I could send it to her. Didn't say much about my opening or closing, but I liked a few lines I had put in it. Which Ggy told me made it sound like a story. +_+ But that's good I think.
To Improve On: EIC. I really understand why she was criticising it. Also, on not sounding scared. Ggy said my opponent and I both sounded scared, which affects how powerful your opening/closing sounds, I think. But I think I answered questions reasonably well. Ahem.
After that Florence had to go off. Ggy and I went to Burger Shack, where we ate nice things (Food and fries and Reverso and Cookies and Cream ice cream), and it rained, and I typed up my XX fully because I'd made some changes to it in pen, and then we went home. The rain sounds very nice outside my window now and I will now begin CLT. Yes, after I post this (and reply my tag board)!
Much thanks again to everyone who was willing to discuss trial advo with me. I really think people gain from practicing their Opening/Closing/EIC/XX on other people and hearing their critique. I guess most lawyers are like that - not naturally able to construct the best case, but doing it through hard work?
Anyway, it gives me hope because I think I am quite obtuse in some areas.
HAPPY! :)
Gratefully yours,
Alaris
P.s. I realised I forgot to thank God. But I should, because yesterday singing Christian songs made me feel not so hopeless. Yeah!
Labels: ajisen ramen, birthday, books, family, food, ggy, God, imm, library, presents, trial advo
Post a Comment