« Home | And so they lived, happily ever after...It's calle... » | year 2 semester 2! » | Hiroshima » | the unchanged soul » | a maze of holidays » | Double-post for once :) » | Anniversary » | a resolution » | Thoughts » | UBERLY GROSSED OUT. »

Canada

Going away to study is like a rose-tinged dream. People think of cooler climes, of beautiful green lawns that students laze about on, (sometimes) of the realms of internet shopping that now open up (as a lot of big online retailers don't ship to Singapore).

I think of a place to grow and discover myself.

When I chose not to go overseas to study, my parents told me that I should try to apply for exchange then. They extolled the virtues of studying overseas, primarily, learning to be independent. Yes, I'm the sort who only learnt to take public transport in secondary school. I'm not like my elder sister, who strained against her perceived bonds by hiding all the things she did outside. Who just wanted to be free by herself without nagging. I've always sort of lived within my parental bonds, rebelling against it openly to push the inner limits further, but not venturing out without permission.

And so I take my baby steps out, sometimes in leaps, always trying to puff my heart up with courage. When there's a challenge, I tell myself to take it not because I want to really do that thing, but to test myself to be stronger. Like going to NUS law, which is supposed to be tougher academically than the overseas schools I was looking at. Or before that, going to RJ though I wanted to stay with my friends in NJ. Or trying GEP out although I loved MGS.

And so, exchange. To be fully responsible for everything, like an adult. It'll probably be a battle at times, but I hope I'll learn to live in a place where life is slower, where I'm the minority, where maybe I'd have more inspiration to finally write a book.

Labels: ,