« Home | Some Favourite Artists » | parents » | INFJ » | Beautiful Pictures » | Survivor » | prayer » | the end of march » | the taste of coleus » | the nature of time » | prevention is better than cure »

wisdom and honesty

I really respect our dean as a person. Wisdom is something I crave more than success, which can be good or bad. As I do still recognise the value of success.

Dear law students,

I am writing to wish all of you the very best in the exams beginning tomorrow. I know this is a stressful time for you and if it’s any consolation I still remember quite well my own pre-examination anxiety many years ago! In this context I wish to repeat something I said some years ago, namely that while good grades are undoubtedly satisfying, and even useful at the start point of a person’s career, it is neither a necessary or sufficient condition for future success. As someone who has worked longer than some of you have lived (very sad, I know), I speak with some authority when I say that I know numerous people who have done well in working life though they did not achieve stellar results in law school.

So just do your best, take care and keep well.

With my best wishes,
Tan CH


*

Yesterday I heard that humans are human. I don't think anyone can exist without a flaw. I think people have to take this into account when they promise things. Is it better to promise and live knowing that you might fail, or not to promise because you abhor causing the possible consequences? Whatever they decide to do, they should be honest about it and make their motives clear.

On another note, I have discovered a very interesting site. The people there analyse cultural things in a bigger context than for example, giving a bare review to a movie.

I thought Pixar’s Up: Paradise Lost at Paradise Falls was a very interesting article, though I haven't quite finished processing it. If you read it, be sure to keep on to page 2. Which reframed the problem I have, in terms of something that happens to everyone as an intrinsic part of life.

Balancing on a tightrope,

Alaris

Labels: , , , , , ,