the unassailable things
I think that in general, how one reacts to a subject says more about the person than the subject.
Example: Today I shared a double scoop of ice cream with Ggy. The flavours were burnt caramel and cookies and cream. Having taken a lot of burnt caramel, I decided it was time to balance it up with cookies and cream. Ggy then said, "I've noticed that you like cookies and cream more!"
I explained that I was eating a lot of it because I realised how little I had been eating. "But the fact that you noticed I was eating cookies and cream and not burnt caramel, shows how much you like cookies and cream!"
*
That was a relatively simple example. But often the things that people react to reveal a lot more personal things. It does make sense that people do act out their underlying attitudes and conceptions of self; however I think sometimes people accept propositions too much as statements of truth rather than of opinion.
Example: Today I shared a double scoop of ice cream with Ggy. The flavours were burnt caramel and cookies and cream. Having taken a lot of burnt caramel, I decided it was time to balance it up with cookies and cream. Ggy then said, "I've noticed that you like cookies and cream more!"
I explained that I was eating a lot of it because I realised how little I had been eating. "But the fact that you noticed I was eating cookies and cream and not burnt caramel, shows how much you like cookies and cream!"
*
That was a relatively simple example. But often the things that people react to reveal a lot more personal things. It does make sense that people do act out their underlying attitudes and conceptions of self; however I think sometimes people accept propositions too much as statements of truth rather than of opinion.
Labels: fact
Post a Comment