Driving
I've realized I'm studying driving like an art. There are so many tips here and there which are not in the book, and it takes a while to internalize things, and sometimes the things you've internalized are wrong because your previous instructor who taught you that skill never picked up on your mistakes (which can make you really confused).
A good instructor is really magic. He can pick up on so many things that you never realized you did wrong, including stuff that he's not supposed to cover in the lesson, and can make you smile by talking about the education system nowadays and how he tells his kids to study but if cannot study, then it's okay. And how life is short and we have to learn to laugh. They're pretty earnest about it too; can tell. :) And you learn how not to take criticism personally, and how to laugh about it and focus on doing it because they're on your side.
I'm fixed to a group that my friend recommended, and the lesson before this one I finally met the group leader, who solicited feedback on the other instructors, telling me which one was good and which one wasn't, and their shifts. He doesn't often teach nowadays, he says. So, yay. :) He also told me how our passing rates are linked to their group bonus so that explains why he's so vigilant about correcting my mistakes and interrogating me about them!
My driver today said I drove like a electric bicycle rider, and good instructors will 'say you' until you drive like a car driver. The point of driving a car, he says, is to go fast. He also says that the goal is to drive so as to let your instructor drink water comfortably without spilling it. :P
I guess I'm learning how to enjoy driving lessons afterall. Although I'm often sleep-deprived on them and they do use up my conscious brain power by making me concentrate on implementing what I've learnt or am learning... they are a period of rest for my mind. It also helps to have priorities other than Part B - although I still of course aim to pass Part B, it's good to have things outside that where I can just concentrate on learning, and being myself, and not having to interact on a deep level at all. :) Gives my mind a break from all the thinking. Makes me realize again the importance of having things to do other than work (to work well and play/rest well).
I am of course nervous about the prospect failing after all the effort (and money) - heard about one guy who drove well but didn't put on his seatbelt the whole time(!!) - but I think in the end I can't focus on that because even if it happens, it doesn't spell the end of my driving career and also because I'm doing this for myself. :)
A good instructor is really magic. He can pick up on so many things that you never realized you did wrong, including stuff that he's not supposed to cover in the lesson, and can make you smile by talking about the education system nowadays and how he tells his kids to study but if cannot study, then it's okay. And how life is short and we have to learn to laugh. They're pretty earnest about it too; can tell. :) And you learn how not to take criticism personally, and how to laugh about it and focus on doing it because they're on your side.
I'm fixed to a group that my friend recommended, and the lesson before this one I finally met the group leader, who solicited feedback on the other instructors, telling me which one was good and which one wasn't, and their shifts. He doesn't often teach nowadays, he says. So, yay. :) He also told me how our passing rates are linked to their group bonus so that explains why he's so vigilant about correcting my mistakes and interrogating me about them!
My driver today said I drove like a electric bicycle rider, and good instructors will 'say you' until you drive like a car driver. The point of driving a car, he says, is to go fast. He also says that the goal is to drive so as to let your instructor drink water comfortably without spilling it. :P
I guess I'm learning how to enjoy driving lessons afterall. Although I'm often sleep-deprived on them and they do use up my conscious brain power by making me concentrate on implementing what I've learnt or am learning... they are a period of rest for my mind. It also helps to have priorities other than Part B - although I still of course aim to pass Part B, it's good to have things outside that where I can just concentrate on learning, and being myself, and not having to interact on a deep level at all. :) Gives my mind a break from all the thinking. Makes me realize again the importance of having things to do other than work (to work well and play/rest well).
I am of course nervous about the prospect failing after all the effort (and money) - heard about one guy who drove well but didn't put on his seatbelt the whole time(!!) - but I think in the end I can't focus on that because even if it happens, it doesn't spell the end of my driving career and also because I'm doing this for myself. :)
Labels: challenge, driving, work-life balance
Post a Comment