« Home | guiding light » | setting up » | Merry Christmas! » | holiday! » | more thoughts » | a chapter on privity » | Beauty » | wants! » | hope » | it hurts to be alive »

melancholy

I feel so empty.

"And a reader of books is not a mover of men."

I am, without doubt, a reader of books in essence. I don't really know about the correlation between books and leaders - I should think that leaders (the ultimate movers of men) read many books. But they probably read non-fiction.

Reading fiction can drain your feelings, because it pulls so much out of you. Maybe it leaves you with insufficient desire to change the world. Or maybe, sometimes when you read books that cover the life span of a character, you realise that death ends everything you had in life, and time erases the traces of yourself, and there may be no point suffering so much pain to move anyone.

Eugene said he didn't read because he didn't like to imagine things for himself. He watched too much tv when he was young.

Maybe the next generation will all be movers of men, because they have no time in stillness to imagine up a perfect world and wonder at this imperfect one we are presented with.

- Alaris -

Labels: