The Grand Tour: London
Europe. A continent I hadn't stepped into for nineteen years of my existence, despite hearing much about it.
When I first got off the airplane into London I couldn't really believe it. I kept thinking, "I'm in London!" and that made me carry my 15(?)kg luggage happily up and down stairs to get to the Bayswater station that we finally alighted at. :) The train from the airport stopped at some random stops, and I wanted to just step out and in of the doors to feel the place. And no there weren't a lot of people around so it wouldn't have been weird, it was about 9pm probably when we started our journey from the airport.
Oh something that might interest people. We were on the Airbus 380, which is a new plane that Singapore Airlines is the first to acquire. It's really big! And there were lots of empty seats. :)
What I Liked about London
1. Watching Wicked! It is really good, and we got tickets at half price by buying them the day of the show. The actresses who played Glinda and Elphaba were awesome; they made me love their characters. We watched Chicago too but it didn't appeal to me as much - although the dancers were really talented. Imagine doing a slow forward split on heels. Or jumping up from a chair, doing a split in the air then landing on the floor with feet on both side of the chair. Also in heels!! And Jerry Springer guest-starred, although clueless Alaris had no idea until the end of the show when everyone clapped so much for him. Anyway I enjoyed Wicked more.
2. The National Museum. It's totally free to go in. :) That was the day I met Si Chen to go out, and we saw Jia Hua there! Eee... I mean, what a coincidence. :P He's not bad, it's just so strange seeing him again unexpectedly. We saw lots of Greek statues with chopped-off body parts, sometimes with a small tag - like, Head of Apollo in this other museum. The museums really know how to split things up. It was awesome because it's not like museums in Singapore. :P It actually has stuff worth seeing! (Oh coincidentally this is the day my wallet got stolen. My mother thinks it's my fault because no one normal gets their wallet stolen twice before they turn 21. I think that I must have a sign on my forehead saying Take My Money. :( Anyway it was awful because I have sentimental feelings for my purple Guess wallet! And there was moneyyyy in pounds inside. :( And we had to wake my father up in the middle of the night there to check up the credit card numbers and freeze them. Then when I get back to Singapore I'll have to replace everything (my whole life was in there). Graaah.)
3. Portobello Road market. We bought wooden stamps and amazingly, I found this jacket I'd been eyeing in Singapore for a much lower price. :) Yes the red/gold/black/silver one that I have mentioned to some of you. I really like it, although my mother and sister and ru don't really...
Overrated Things
1. The changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace! They were LATE and unimpressive. There were some guards riding on horses and the one in the lead was supposed to play a trumpet. However his horse started rearing when he did that, so he had to stop to control it. >_< Baddddd.
2. The Four Seasons duck. There was a restaurant near Bayswater, so we booked a reservation there. We still had to wait after we got there though. And the duck isn't really that nice, it's just the sauce. But I liked the crab and corn soup there. :)
3. Singapore > London because in Singapore you don't have to worry about your wallet so much unless you are really being dumb. Sigh.
K that's all for the report. :) Going to do stuff now; supposed to go on a day trip to York tmr. See you all soon!
- Alaris -
When I first got off the airplane into London I couldn't really believe it. I kept thinking, "I'm in London!" and that made me carry my 15(?)kg luggage happily up and down stairs to get to the Bayswater station that we finally alighted at. :) The train from the airport stopped at some random stops, and I wanted to just step out and in of the doors to feel the place. And no there weren't a lot of people around so it wouldn't have been weird, it was about 9pm probably when we started our journey from the airport.
Oh something that might interest people. We were on the Airbus 380, which is a new plane that Singapore Airlines is the first to acquire. It's really big! And there were lots of empty seats. :)
What I Liked about London
1. Watching Wicked! It is really good, and we got tickets at half price by buying them the day of the show. The actresses who played Glinda and Elphaba were awesome; they made me love their characters. We watched Chicago too but it didn't appeal to me as much - although the dancers were really talented. Imagine doing a slow forward split on heels. Or jumping up from a chair, doing a split in the air then landing on the floor with feet on both side of the chair. Also in heels!! And Jerry Springer guest-starred, although clueless Alaris had no idea until the end of the show when everyone clapped so much for him. Anyway I enjoyed Wicked more.
2. The National Museum. It's totally free to go in. :) That was the day I met Si Chen to go out, and we saw Jia Hua there! Eee... I mean, what a coincidence. :P He's not bad, it's just so strange seeing him again unexpectedly. We saw lots of Greek statues with chopped-off body parts, sometimes with a small tag - like, Head of Apollo in this other museum. The museums really know how to split things up. It was awesome because it's not like museums in Singapore. :P It actually has stuff worth seeing! (Oh coincidentally this is the day my wallet got stolen. My mother thinks it's my fault because no one normal gets their wallet stolen twice before they turn 21. I think that I must have a sign on my forehead saying Take My Money. :( Anyway it was awful because I have sentimental feelings for my purple Guess wallet! And there was moneyyyy in pounds inside. :( And we had to wake my father up in the middle of the night there to check up the credit card numbers and freeze them. Then when I get back to Singapore I'll have to replace everything (my whole life was in there). Graaah.)
3. Portobello Road market. We bought wooden stamps and amazingly, I found this jacket I'd been eyeing in Singapore for a much lower price. :) Yes the red/gold/black/silver one that I have mentioned to some of you. I really like it, although my mother and sister and ru don't really...
Overrated Things
1. The changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace! They were LATE and unimpressive. There were some guards riding on horses and the one in the lead was supposed to play a trumpet. However his horse started rearing when he did that, so he had to stop to control it. >_< Baddddd.
2. The Four Seasons duck. There was a restaurant near Bayswater, so we booked a reservation there. We still had to wait after we got there though. And the duck isn't really that nice, it's just the sauce. But I liked the crab and corn soup there. :)
3. Singapore > London because in Singapore you don't have to worry about your wallet so much unless you are really being dumb. Sigh.
K that's all for the report. :) Going to do stuff now; supposed to go on a day trip to York tmr. See you all soon!
- Alaris -
Labels: europe, holiday, london, the grand tour, theft
Post a Comment