« Home | Psalm 51 » | Community and Individual Humanities » | Why do you look? » | Yum (yes random title) » | the mission of strong sheep » | Why I would wish to serve this God » | Being a Professional; Devotion » | the discipline of faith » | thanksgiving » | Seeing in truth »

Goals in Life

I know some of you have been watching me not plan my grad trip... Actually now I have decided that my ideal trip is to go to Hawaii with a very close friend for three weeks, then to the US for the final week. But the first is difficult for various reasons, and parents have recently said that they don't think I should do the second with the first, which makes the entire option somewhat less attractive.

So I'm still considering. But honestly I've gone to many of the other places that people are suggesting, whom I would be up for going with, and I don't think traveling is a good idea when there is so much other things to do that I haven't got to do by traveling in previous years. Also have the chance to do another internship at CIL, but I do think I want to branch out into other things.

So far, I've thought of these things: Writing, reading (especially to educate myself about the world, with my insular mind), dancing. Also I want to re-organise my room, and possibly move out. Finally, I want to do something to contribute to the community. I've signed up to help as much as I can with this Peacemakers Conference where we will train secondary school kids to mediate for a three-day period in late June (really excited for the opportunity actually! Anyone interested, do speak up, cause I asked Joel and he said they welcome all kinds of help). In sum, I want to put myself to hard work on the things that I've always wanted to do. I must start somewhere to do the things I want, for leaving things to the future does not guarantee their starting.

I've never made much progress on these things that I wanted in previous years because I tend to get sucked into going out with friends a lot. :P It is very fun, but also distracting, and then I am always joining school related things for the rest of the time.

I also want to go to Cambodia on a short trip sometime in May or the first week of June, and wonder whether anyone is interested? If so, please speak up now! Otherwise, I might go to Korea for a week then, if certain people will still have me. :)

*

Other than that, I've been having a somewhat terrible week. Lowest this sem ever. But a lot of it is due to me, because I cannot stop myself from worrying and feeling pity for myself in many ways. I've cried so much, it does become rather inefficient: and everyone knows about the economic law of diminishing rates of return.

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it — not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it — they will be blessed in what they do."
- James 1: 22-25

I really do want to live in God's word, so that I can find peace in every circumstance. This life is immeasurably short; why do we worry about it so much? All is endurable when we set eyes on the beauty of what we can be transformed into when we let God, of all the love and the good news we can bring to this world.

But again, here I must remember that saying is not equivalent to doing. Saying and thinking can be a good start, and the birth of ideas that give life, but there has to be implementation. Go forward, Alaris.

Labels: , , , ,