Yum (yes random title)
Pretty good day, all things considered.
- Messed up Korean skit.
- Bed broke down, like just.
But I got to talk a lot about my ideas, and eat yummy Korean food again, and did some real work on my research paper due next Wednesday. Also asked the Korean teacher some questions after lecture; where previously I just sort of let things pass uncritically. I think we tend to assume that teachers will give us whatever we should know; but in language classes I've realised that native speakers assume we know things that we actually don't. They may also not have a comprehensive enough understanding of our language to realise that things are actually different in English or Chinese.
Actually now that I think about it, it is really quite a blessing to be able to ask teachers questions. They're paid to teach you, and most of them do like it when you show interest. This is in comparison to colleagues or superiors next time who may not 1) be inclined to teach or nurture naturally 2) may not have the time to let you question 3) may feel you are wasting their time or being overly inquisitive for the job if you question more than they think you should or than they themselves would. So I do want to really appreciate and savour this time now.
Also, my friend made a point that this is the last time I get to do such a skit in school, and that it does let me have fun, especially in pretending to be a stalker etc. :)
And lastly:
"Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." - Proverbs 19:21
It does give me much assurance to think of how everything is still in his hands.
- Messed up Korean skit.
- Bed broke down, like just.
But I got to talk a lot about my ideas, and eat yummy Korean food again, and did some real work on my research paper due next Wednesday. Also asked the Korean teacher some questions after lecture; where previously I just sort of let things pass uncritically. I think we tend to assume that teachers will give us whatever we should know; but in language classes I've realised that native speakers assume we know things that we actually don't. They may also not have a comprehensive enough understanding of our language to realise that things are actually different in English or Chinese.
Actually now that I think about it, it is really quite a blessing to be able to ask teachers questions. They're paid to teach you, and most of them do like it when you show interest. This is in comparison to colleagues or superiors next time who may not 1) be inclined to teach or nurture naturally 2) may not have the time to let you question 3) may feel you are wasting their time or being overly inquisitive for the job if you question more than they think you should or than they themselves would. So I do want to really appreciate and savour this time now.
Also, my friend made a point that this is the last time I get to do such a skit in school, and that it does let me have fun, especially in pretending to be a stalker etc. :)
And lastly:
"Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." - Proverbs 19:21
It does give me much assurance to think of how everything is still in his hands.
Post a Comment