« Home | between a rock and a hard place » | Holidays are here again! » | blue topaz » | a rambling post with undertones of sisterhood » | what migration does for singapore » | the time of preparation » | dreariness » | bored... » | Picture post » | My very first job »

what if the world stopped turning?

If the world stopped turning, disregarding all the other science-related side effects, there would be a division of places : those cast into eternal day, and those into eternal night. I was thinking about this the other day while walking home at night. It was like the lyrics of the song Memory in the musical Cats.

Midnight
Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan


Something like that. You can really hear leaves rustle under your feet and the streetlights are so yellow, like dull orbs. When you walk into the shadows cast by the trees you feel suddenly aware that you're not sure what you might be walking on - a live snail, a puddle of water or just normal ground. The night is elusive and hides from us all those things that are ugly and frightening, and makes us fear them more. At the same time night romances us. It makes evening makeup possible (that is impossible and out of place in daylight). It brings out the hues of scarlet and purple and dark grey. It tricks the eye into feeling emotions that daylight cannot access.

What would the world of day be like, then? Everything visible and bathed in a wash of bright colour. You can bask in the sun, except when your skin becomes over-tan and burns. A child of endless summer has browned hands and legs and freckles. She is draped in leaves that seem to almost grow from her skin. A warm day, a hot day when heat reflects off the ground. Think of an overexposed photograph that seems to contain a mirage of an angel.

Would you prefer a world of night or a world of day? I am so thankful for the mix of both, for everyone has things to hide in the dark, yet we also fear it too much to live continually in it. I am thankful for the light in which to see beautiful detail and colour, but we can't live in the sun which reveals the many flaws in our skin, the ugliness and truth of our expressions.

***

Now for a little bit about a Chunny outing! This is so that Chunny can put her mind at ease that I still remember her, which I do, because Chunny is my best *best* female friend. I mean it! :P (But she must go out with me more often to retain her place...)

We went for the NUS law written test together. Chunny was late. YES. She thought it was at the Law campus, which it wasn't. I think there were too many people trying out, so it had to be in one of the Kent Ridge halls. Anyway she managed to get there in time. Before she arrived I saw Darren and Tammy. But Tammy said she actually wasn't v interested in law!

The written test was so-so. I saw one guy who finished super early.

Anyway after the test, some of us went off to the MRT. This is the first time I've realised how many girls Darren knows. 0_0 :P I met one of Chunny's 'kors' who is a bit strange - which is to say, I'm still not very sure why they're friends.

SO. Chunny and I went to PS. :) We were on a mission. Nowadays, Chunny and I only go out on missions. Usually in an attempt to buy something or catch some 'exciting' thing going on which usually turns out to be not very exciting upon reflection. Once we went to VivoCity when it first opened and ended up taking some very long-winded way there, but I do think that is the first time I tried Carls Junior (perhaps). And bought an item from Muee.

We ate at Hot Tomato Express. Their olive rice was great, but their service was not so great. I liked the part where we got mos burger shakes and discussed our favourite makeup products. Hers is eyeliner and mine is _____ (points for the person who guesses it!).

Then we went along to the place of the day: the Secret Location! It was really cool and I really wanted that $269 dress. Here's a picture of it. :( Chunny was being all 'reasonable' though and telling me she had a dress that looked like that that cost much less.

***

Just came home from an outing with Ru. We tried something yummy from Orange Julius. We also bought 2 tops each. :)

***

I can't choose between NUS, Manchester and Warwick. Help me! :( I feel really really lost.


Alaris

Labels: , , , , ,