Graduation
Results are coming out tomorrow and I can't sleep. Not simply because I'm worried, but because I have some work to do by tonight for Peacemakers as well as for booking accommodation for the Korea trip, and I won't be that free the next few days to attend to it. And yet, I can't settle enough to get to work properly either.
Graduation. I was thinking back to my junior CGLs who are going to take on this role after me, and of what I wanted to pray for them. All the years they will yet face in law school, worrying about this assignment and that, and the friendships that will be made and perhaps, broken. It reminds me also of the people who have told me that it's good to graduate. I have also wanted to graduate - not necessarily because I want to start earning money or being useful, but because I feel strongly that it is time to begin the rest of my life. I think also, of the fact that as the years go past, we are closer to the individual ends of our race. The race that is life, that marathon. Once wrote an email to my CG about it, and the verses still apply here:
“And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace." - Acts 20:22-24
This is the gladness and willingness I aspire to, not knowing what lies ahead.
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
This is the discipline and focused mind I aspire to, to do all as unto God.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." - Hebrews 12:1-3
This is the perseverance and hope that I wish to be the one thing I hold to, so that I will not feel weary.
"I have seen something else under the sun:
The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
This is the wisdom that God have given, so that I know that the end comes, and that however unbearable, nothing good or bad lasts forever on earth.
Each second that passes is a step closer to the end of my race. But all of it is wasted if I do not finish well. So for the days ahead, help me run in such a way to get the prize. Outwardly fading away but inwardly being renewed; let me have that surety in You, who is with me and everywhere.
Graduation. I was thinking back to my junior CGLs who are going to take on this role after me, and of what I wanted to pray for them. All the years they will yet face in law school, worrying about this assignment and that, and the friendships that will be made and perhaps, broken. It reminds me also of the people who have told me that it's good to graduate. I have also wanted to graduate - not necessarily because I want to start earning money or being useful, but because I feel strongly that it is time to begin the rest of my life. I think also, of the fact that as the years go past, we are closer to the individual ends of our race. The race that is life, that marathon. Once wrote an email to my CG about it, and the verses still apply here:
“And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace." - Acts 20:22-24
This is the gladness and willingness I aspire to, not knowing what lies ahead.
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
This is the discipline and focused mind I aspire to, to do all as unto God.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." - Hebrews 12:1-3
This is the perseverance and hope that I wish to be the one thing I hold to, so that I will not feel weary.
"I have seen something else under the sun:
The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
This is the wisdom that God have given, so that I know that the end comes, and that however unbearable, nothing good or bad lasts forever on earth.
Each second that passes is a step closer to the end of my race. But all of it is wasted if I do not finish well. So for the days ahead, help me run in such a way to get the prize. Outwardly fading away but inwardly being renewed; let me have that surety in You, who is with me and everywhere.
Labels: graduation, law, race
Post a Comment