Considering being a teacher?
Once when we were in MGS they made us do a DISC personality test. After some pseudo-science matching and all, the People determined that I should sell insurance or be a pre-school teacher. :P Needless to say, I was unimpressed, since those don't pay a lot of money and aren't glamorous. I'm beginning to have second thoughts though, at least about the latter suggestion. Cause I still don't wanna learn how to be smarmy and insure people for unlucky stuff. It was FENCING today that decided this!
Since David is the coach in charge of teaching the j1s and he has no one else to take over the j2 sabre batch, we helped him teach. The j1s had learnt the basic en garde position last week and we were teaching them *footwork*.
I still remember who taught me footwork. The previous epee coach... whatshisname. I thought he knew a lot because he corrected me with an air of wisdom. Which is what I emulated today with the j1s. :) So perhaps, just perhaps, j1s will begin to think of me like that too.
It's very difficult to teach footwork to an entire batch. David hadn't enough manpower to split them into groups, so he did the next best thing, putting them in a line and showing them how to do it. But footwork is particularly tricky. It requires personalised attention, so Alaris picked out people who were doing notably wrong stuff. I made them do it repeatedly in front of me so that I could figure out what was wrong. ^_^ Then I slowly but surely corrected their mistakes and explained the theories behind like, taking small steps.
After that the girls and guys were split up. Predictably, someone-to-be-kept-unnamed wanted to coach the girls so I had to correct the guys again. David did footwork with clearer instructions, and most of them were at least getting the hang of not standing out for wrongness in the crowd. Then the-person-not-to-be-mentioned took half the guys group (he was motivated by some sense of duty?) and he soon moved on to lunges!
Lunging is Much more complicated than moving forward and back in crablike-fencing-style. It requires great hand-eye coordination and strength in the back leg and good posture and being able to control your body. Anyway, lunging took a Lot more explanation and drained my everlasting store of patience and perseverance.
Oh yeah. I finally get around to my point. Which is that I Love the fact that I can impart my store of knowledge to people, and that they find it useful. It's so different from rambling nonsense, like you sometimes do during socialising. Also, they actually listen and respect you! COOL.
I found that I was unable to teach in large groups, cause I get really bothered whenone of them is doing it wrong and I Must correct their fault promptly. :D You get much better results when you teach one-to-one; you can personalise your advice.
So the kindergarten teacher choice would work because:
1) The classes are much smaller than primary or secondary or jc ones.
2)Even though you aren't teaching anything advanced, it's still kinda important because you can set the way they feel about school or how they organise their priorities or how they grow into healthy and kind adults and don't turn out like certain people I know. You also can keep them from swearing.
3) The compliance you get from kids would be like idolatry, and they wouldn't disobey me or bully me, just based on the fact that I'm their teacher. ^_^
So it Rocks! I just need higher pay and more willing audiences who might appreciate what I wear to work, or to be fashion-conscious with, because everyone knows most kindergarten teachers don't possess a cutting-edge style. If any of them do at all.
Future-conscious,
Alaris.
P.s. Ooh. :) And there's some saber barbecue at jingxun's house this saturday, with a stayover as well. It's to celebrate novices!
Since David is the coach in charge of teaching the j1s and he has no one else to take over the j2 sabre batch, we helped him teach. The j1s had learnt the basic en garde position last week and we were teaching them *footwork*.
I still remember who taught me footwork. The previous epee coach... whatshisname. I thought he knew a lot because he corrected me with an air of wisdom. Which is what I emulated today with the j1s. :) So perhaps, just perhaps, j1s will begin to think of me like that too.
It's very difficult to teach footwork to an entire batch. David hadn't enough manpower to split them into groups, so he did the next best thing, putting them in a line and showing them how to do it. But footwork is particularly tricky. It requires personalised attention, so Alaris picked out people who were doing notably wrong stuff. I made them do it repeatedly in front of me so that I could figure out what was wrong. ^_^ Then I slowly but surely corrected their mistakes and explained the theories behind like, taking small steps.
After that the girls and guys were split up. Predictably, someone-to-be-kept-unnamed wanted to coach the girls so I had to correct the guys again. David did footwork with clearer instructions, and most of them were at least getting the hang of not standing out for wrongness in the crowd. Then the-person-not-to-be-mentioned took half the guys group (he was motivated by some sense of duty?) and he soon moved on to lunges!
Lunging is Much more complicated than moving forward and back in crablike-fencing-style. It requires great hand-eye coordination and strength in the back leg and good posture and being able to control your body. Anyway, lunging took a Lot more explanation and drained my everlasting store of patience and perseverance.
Oh yeah. I finally get around to my point. Which is that I Love the fact that I can impart my store of knowledge to people, and that they find it useful. It's so different from rambling nonsense, like you sometimes do during socialising. Also, they actually listen and respect you! COOL.
I found that I was unable to teach in large groups, cause I get really bothered whenone of them is doing it wrong and I Must correct their fault promptly. :D You get much better results when you teach one-to-one; you can personalise your advice.
So the kindergarten teacher choice would work because:
1) The classes are much smaller than primary or secondary or jc ones.
2)Even though you aren't teaching anything advanced, it's still kinda important because you can set the way they feel about school or how they organise their priorities or how they grow into healthy and kind adults and don't turn out like certain people I know. You also can keep them from swearing.
3) The compliance you get from kids would be like idolatry, and they wouldn't disobey me or bully me, just based on the fact that I'm their teacher. ^_^
So it Rocks! I just need higher pay and more willing audiences who might appreciate what I wear to work, or to be fashion-conscious with, because everyone knows most kindergarten teachers don't possess a cutting-edge style. If any of them do at all.
Future-conscious,
Alaris.
P.s. Ooh. :) And there's some saber barbecue at jingxun's house this saturday, with a stayover as well. It's to celebrate novices!
Post a Comment