theft
Yesterday was a dreary day. I lost my camera, and with it lots of pictures that I had yet to upload and delete, all the way from before exams while we were preparing. So much for outfit pictures. Thankfully I had no embarrassing pictures of my friends or myself in it. All the same, I apologise to all of you for losing the pictures because this could potentially affect you.
What happened was this: I was concentrating on taking care of my dry-cleaning and forgot to keep my camera case. I should have realised it, when my friend told me my backpack was open. Normally I pack my things in my bag before closing it and going off, so I had some notion I might have left something behind. But it being a slow day with both of us tired, I failed to go back to the seat to check, but settled with a glance at the table on which I had left nothing. And shortly after, someone took our seat.
When I realised the camera was not with me at home, I knew it must have been left behind. So I called the place and the mall, both of whom reported nothing had been handed in to them. I despaired.
This is the second time something from me has been lost at West Mall. I consider this theft also. Although the person had probably not taken it directly from beside me, but after I had left it behind, taking it was a positive act, a deliberate act. I now harbour an uneasy feeling about going to West Mall with that particular friend as I fear it leads to some unique circumstance that causes me to drop my guard and with West Mall having lots of potential thieves. But I know it was also caused by me being careless, and that makes it worse to bear.
And walking in West Mall so frequently has led me to see that although I love Singapore, the part of it I love is not the heartland. There are a lot stranger people there, demented men who stop and stand at traffic lights for at least half an hour whilst looking demented and freaking people out, inconsiderate smokers (there probably are where I stay but because of the relative population sparsity I don't have to deal with them often) and people who speak so much Chinese whom I can't communicate with ineffectively. I am not sure if this comes across as elitist, but I wouldn't like to stay there.
And now I only hope that whoever took it has the conscience to delete all the pictures if they are not returning it.
What happened was this: I was concentrating on taking care of my dry-cleaning and forgot to keep my camera case. I should have realised it, when my friend told me my backpack was open. Normally I pack my things in my bag before closing it and going off, so I had some notion I might have left something behind. But it being a slow day with both of us tired, I failed to go back to the seat to check, but settled with a glance at the table on which I had left nothing. And shortly after, someone took our seat.
When I realised the camera was not with me at home, I knew it must have been left behind. So I called the place and the mall, both of whom reported nothing had been handed in to them. I despaired.
This is the second time something from me has been lost at West Mall. I consider this theft also. Although the person had probably not taken it directly from beside me, but after I had left it behind, taking it was a positive act, a deliberate act. I now harbour an uneasy feeling about going to West Mall with that particular friend as I fear it leads to some unique circumstance that causes me to drop my guard and with West Mall having lots of potential thieves. But I know it was also caused by me being careless, and that makes it worse to bear.
And walking in West Mall so frequently has led me to see that although I love Singapore, the part of it I love is not the heartland. There are a lot stranger people there, demented men who stop and stand at traffic lights for at least half an hour whilst looking demented and freaking people out, inconsiderate smokers (there probably are where I stay but because of the relative population sparsity I don't have to deal with them often) and people who speak so much Chinese whom I can't communicate with ineffectively. I am not sure if this comes across as elitist, but I wouldn't like to stay there.
And now I only hope that whoever took it has the conscience to delete all the pictures if they are not returning it.
Post a Comment