« Home | theft » | The Hazards of Shopping! » | a love of privacy; or my coldhearted self » | (an old draft, finally posted) » | TV and role models » | bored » | freedom » | Post-exam plans » | wisdom and honesty » | Some Favourite Artists »

pictures, photographs

I checked. The last photo I imported into my computer was 1 April, so all my outfit shots and other pictures from that day onwards are... gone. Well there is an exception - one outing where a friend wanted the photos so I sent them those, and I can retrieve those from my email. I feel really sorry to my friends who have been helping me take pictures for so long. Maybe in time I will recreate the outfits that are gone, if I can remember them. I realise I have grown much attached to my camera for I am always reaching for it to take a picture.

I am converted into a photographer. An amateur photographer, but still. As I think of my trip to Europe last year (London, Paris, Burgundy, Avignon, Pont du Gard, Monaco, Menton, Nice, Grasse, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Vatican City, Venice, Manchester and York), I don't remember it clearly at all until I see the pictures of the places I have been. I actually went to look at the pictures to recall where I'd gone. The pictures allow me to savour the moments I have missed and that time has blurred; they allow me to revisit the past.

Taking photos does lead one to lose track of the present - "Stop! I have to take a photo." Actually I tend to just stop in my tracks without warning people, and they bump into me, which is probably annoying for them as well! But I get the beautiful pictures. Also, picking this up this hobby will give me something to do when ggy is engrossed in taking photographs in future (he likes to neglect me by doing that, or maybe he does that and neglects me in the process). :P

I also think that with friends who are photographers, being able to take good pictures of them is helping to return the pleasure.

Photographs make up for the present lapses in time while you take them, by helping you recapture the past as many times as you see the photographs. Needless to say, I'm glad to have such technology available to us now.

*

So, without further ado, I bring you pictures of London Day 1, around a year ago.

Photobucket
Starting out bright and early.

We went to a more central station to get half-price tickets for musicals on the day itself. You must do this, if you go to London!

Photobucket
The tube. In London all the transport is round - the trains have round walls, which feels more cosy than Singapore's mrts.

Photobucket
We visited Buckingham Palace.

Photobucket
A recurring theme - statutes that are made into birdstands. This statue can also be seen in the right side of the preceding (previous?) picture.

Photobucket
And here we waited for the changing of the guard. The guard was late.

Photobucket
This place is kinda touristy.

Photobucket
This photo was about testing how far the zoom on my camera could go and pretending to be a spy. I think I'll take the same camera this time too, if my father allows me to.

Photobucket
This is the monument opposite Buckingham Palace. It is very grand and I think, more pretty than Buckingham itself, which reminds me of the BFG.

Photobucket
My mother actually takes good photos sometimes.

Photobucket
Here, too.

We then walked a lot, past the Guards Museum and with me thinking all the while London, London, London! With that in mind I couldn't feel tired. We went to Westminster Abbey, into St Margaret's Chapel (which was free). We weren't allowed to take photographs inside the chapel, like in some other religious places. It was an interesting experience - there were epitaphs written all over the walls and on the ground of the aisles below our feet. Some of these were from the 18th century, and almost rubbed away. I was quite entranced, and wished to go into Westminster, but my mother reined me back, telling me we had lots of other places to cover.

Photobucket
Presenting my mother.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Evidence of political activity going on.

We went to Leicester Square, and to a very stuffy Lillywhites. This is a place where you can buy cheap sports shoes. I got a new pair of pink Adidas Superstars (which reminds me to throw away my old pair still in the shoe closet).

Photobucket
Chinatown, to find lunch. We didn't end up eating Chinese though.

Photobucket
We couldn't conquer the servings of kebab, much as we tried.

Photobucket
Beautiful train station.

I remember in between waiting for the musical's timing, we went in to a pub to have a bit of tea. It was fun! Just because the tea was hot, not because it was good. :)

Photobucket
The start of a very good musical. I think it could well be The Favourite, except I haven't been exposed to many musicals yet so it isn't a firm favourite. I was really amazed by how lovable and real the characters were - but that is West End.

Photobucket
Highly recommended.

Labels: , , , ,