« Home | If we must have resolutions » | To make yourself usable » | Subjects! » | Light and Darkness; Night and Day » | life in retrospect » | Lasik: An Update » | Attolia » | frivalous post: cheap thrills from studying » | Faith » | What I have to learn »

Living and Dying

Today I shall present my two specimens before expounding.

Specimen 1
Philippians 1:23-26
I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.


Specimen 2


Soon and very soon my King is coming
Robed in righteousness and crowned with love
When I see Him I shall be made like Him
Soon and very soon

Soon and very soon
I'll be going to the place He has prepared for me
There my sin erased my shame forgotten
Soon and very soon

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I'll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon


Soon and very soon see the procession
The angels and the elders 'round the throne
At His feet I'll lay my crowns my worship
Soon and very soon

Though I have not seen Him
My heart knows Him well
Jesus Christ the Lamb
The Lord of heaven


*

I love the song; it is a great comfort to me. But it points to one disturbing fact: it's so easy to think religion as purely a spiritual thing. So easy to think that now since we have been saved through pure acceptance of an undeserved sacrifice, we should quickly wish to hasten ourselves for heaven, and that the world can fend for itself. But it's not so simple.

Because as much as we suffer in this world, there are those who suffer more, without the comfort of knowing love. And the greatest message God ever wanted to impart to us, was that he loves us. Not just in speech, but in action. And as Jesus was the Word became flesh, so he transforms us to be his agents of change.

It'll be soon. When we're standing at the end of our race, broken and wounded and tired, no longer what we were in our youth, no longer painlessly laughing and diving for causes - at that time, it'll seem as though it all passed in a flash.

But precisely because it can so easily be a quick flash, all the time in our hands has to be closely and thoughtfully squandered. Even though it feels like eternities ahead, don't treat it as that. There's still so much left to do in the kingdom; so much that is waiting to be changed through you.

Labels: , ,