London, Day 2
I wonder where my travel journal has gone! It is a dusty looking tome, given to me by my older sister for one of my birthdays. I liked it a lot, and I do think she loves me nowadays, in her own way.
Oh wait I've found it! After a short potter in my room (ok I think I used that word in a manner it was not meant to be used, I was trying to use the correct tense of pottering around, like an absentminded and rather free old person), I have found it! Under a volume of VK given to me by the sabre girls, and two boxes full of accessories.
So, Day 2.

The British Museum with Si Chen and my mother. :) My mother walked about by herself, as she had been there the year before with my sister and didn't want to repeat some things. She was also being nice. SC hadn't been there before, so we walked around together.
The wonderful thing about the British Museum is that it is free, so you must go there if you visit London and like to see interesting historical things. And you can take all the pictures you want inside, which makes me beam.

The grand roof. It was wonderful to look up and see the clean patterns like that.


A matched set of pictures! The lighting looks a bit different though.

From my diary, I seem to have liked the Egyptian displays when I was there. I thought it was marvelous that most of them were on display, without barriers between the visitor and the object. It was like walking in a pyramid, except without mummies. Okay, there were mummies which creep me out but I generally avoided them. I remember the first time I went to a museum with mummies - not sure if it was in Australia or USA, but I was aghast that people actually showed this sort of thing in museums. I thought the taboo against dead things would weigh over curators wishing to show the remnants of bodies in public. Then, I scuttered into the next room ahead of my father and family.

Assyrian?

Looking back at the pictures, I am most impressed by the Greek displays, so I've chosen to show more of those.

A lot of the statutes were missing parts. If I am right it was because they were torn apart while being pillaged from different cultures to take back to the conquering nations. So you have parts of the same statute in different countries now, and sometimes museums lend them out to show in return for other parts they would like to have.

We saw by chance an acquaintance. Why is SC so much taller than me. :/


This is amazing. It reminded me of Attolia - a lot of things remind me of Attolia! This one because it had a bee in it. While I am talking about Attolia, I must take the chance to apologise to Bing. I had wanted to lend you the books while I was gone but I didn't contact you about it, because I've been busy the past few days and Ggy is still reading one of the books; he progresses by chapters. However if you happen to pass by Jurong Regional library, they have 2 copies of each of the first three books and if you wish you might borrow them there.

And how I want a tiara for my 21st but my mother says no to that. "They are not practical." "You can't wear them to a lot of places!" I don't want the princessy kind, you understand, but the ancient heathen-looking kind.

This stairwell - I can't think of words to describe the peace of the place.

I love winged pegasus(es). They are probably my favourite animal, on par with the unicorn. After that horses.

The detail in that broach! Unfortunately the picture is not too clear.


Second picture taken by SC as I had a blurred shot. They are carved out of ivory.

Next we went to Covent Garden for a brief period.


This lady looked old and shaky but she didn't fall while we watched her.
This was the day disaster struck. My sister's train from Manchester got delayed, and we hadn't brought an extra phone so my mother didn't know of it. I had to rush back to our station - I was quite frantic because I didn't know what my mother would be doing or whether she would wait there, and SC and I got lost finding a station from Covent Garden. I ran a bit transitioning between stations and was generally scatter brained and when I got back, my mother was standing there looking tired with groceries by her side.
We walked back to our hotel, and eventually my sister came. We went to eat at an apparently famous duck restaurant, which I didn't think was that good. I then discovered my purple Guess wallet was gone, with a lot of money in it.
So you see I can be so blinded by thoughts that I forget my surroundings. I wish I didn't, and I will try not to, but it is probably a main failing of mine.
Anyway, lots of trouble was had for that incident because we had to call up the credit card companies in the middle of the night and things like that. Eventually we managed to claim back most of it by insurance, but I lost things I had treasured - a poker card by a once-close friend saying Alaris the Queen, a black and purple note reminding me not to care so much about what other people thought, memories that will never be managed to be replaced. That is what thieves steal, apart from inflicting monetary loss, and to them those probably don't mean anything at all.
But to end this post on not quite so bitter a note, last picture taken by SC!

I think this is the pendulum of a clock.
Plus one photo taken by me for D who specifically asked for architectural shots. I am not sure if he's actually seen this yet - don't remember showing him the pictures from this trip! (Yes, I lied, it wasn't the last picture. HEHE.)

I think that will be all for today; I have to settle lots of things!
Oh wait I've found it! After a short potter in my room (ok I think I used that word in a manner it was not meant to be used, I was trying to use the correct tense of pottering around, like an absentminded and rather free old person), I have found it! Under a volume of VK given to me by the sabre girls, and two boxes full of accessories.
So, Day 2.

The British Museum with Si Chen and my mother. :) My mother walked about by herself, as she had been there the year before with my sister and didn't want to repeat some things. She was also being nice. SC hadn't been there before, so we walked around together.
The wonderful thing about the British Museum is that it is free, so you must go there if you visit London and like to see interesting historical things. And you can take all the pictures you want inside, which makes me beam.

The grand roof. It was wonderful to look up and see the clean patterns like that.


A matched set of pictures! The lighting looks a bit different though.

From my diary, I seem to have liked the Egyptian displays when I was there. I thought it was marvelous that most of them were on display, without barriers between the visitor and the object. It was like walking in a pyramid, except without mummies. Okay, there were mummies which creep me out but I generally avoided them. I remember the first time I went to a museum with mummies - not sure if it was in Australia or USA, but I was aghast that people actually showed this sort of thing in museums. I thought the taboo against dead things would weigh over curators wishing to show the remnants of bodies in public. Then, I scuttered into the next room ahead of my father and family.

Assyrian?

Looking back at the pictures, I am most impressed by the Greek displays, so I've chosen to show more of those.

A lot of the statutes were missing parts. If I am right it was because they were torn apart while being pillaged from different cultures to take back to the conquering nations. So you have parts of the same statute in different countries now, and sometimes museums lend them out to show in return for other parts they would like to have.

We saw by chance an acquaintance. Why is SC so much taller than me. :/


This is amazing. It reminded me of Attolia - a lot of things remind me of Attolia! This one because it had a bee in it. While I am talking about Attolia, I must take the chance to apologise to Bing. I had wanted to lend you the books while I was gone but I didn't contact you about it, because I've been busy the past few days and Ggy is still reading one of the books; he progresses by chapters. However if you happen to pass by Jurong Regional library, they have 2 copies of each of the first three books and if you wish you might borrow them there.

And how I want a tiara for my 21st but my mother says no to that. "They are not practical." "You can't wear them to a lot of places!" I don't want the princessy kind, you understand, but the ancient heathen-looking kind.

This stairwell - I can't think of words to describe the peace of the place.

I love winged pegasus(es). They are probably my favourite animal, on par with the unicorn. After that horses.

The detail in that broach! Unfortunately the picture is not too clear.


Second picture taken by SC as I had a blurred shot. They are carved out of ivory.

Next we went to Covent Garden for a brief period.


This lady looked old and shaky but she didn't fall while we watched her.
This was the day disaster struck. My sister's train from Manchester got delayed, and we hadn't brought an extra phone so my mother didn't know of it. I had to rush back to our station - I was quite frantic because I didn't know what my mother would be doing or whether she would wait there, and SC and I got lost finding a station from Covent Garden. I ran a bit transitioning between stations and was generally scatter brained and when I got back, my mother was standing there looking tired with groceries by her side.
We walked back to our hotel, and eventually my sister came. We went to eat at an apparently famous duck restaurant, which I didn't think was that good. I then discovered my purple Guess wallet was gone, with a lot of money in it.
So you see I can be so blinded by thoughts that I forget my surroundings. I wish I didn't, and I will try not to, but it is probably a main failing of mine.
Anyway, lots of trouble was had for that incident because we had to call up the credit card companies in the middle of the night and things like that. Eventually we managed to claim back most of it by insurance, but I lost things I had treasured - a poker card by a once-close friend saying Alaris the Queen, a black and purple note reminding me not to care so much about what other people thought, memories that will never be managed to be replaced. That is what thieves steal, apart from inflicting monetary loss, and to them those probably don't mean anything at all.
But to end this post on not quite so bitter a note, last picture taken by SC!

I think this is the pendulum of a clock.
Plus one photo taken by me for D who specifically asked for architectural shots. I am not sure if he's actually seen this yet - don't remember showing him the pictures from this trip! (Yes, I lied, it wasn't the last picture. HEHE.)

I think that will be all for today; I have to settle lots of things!
Labels: london, picture post, the grand tour
Post a Comment