home
It feels so strange to be home. If there's one thing I've learnt about life, that's how fast the world around you can change, and how little you can do about it but adapt. Going to Dachau made me think this too, or reading about Jewish ghettos. With one human body, sometimes there's not much you can physically do. Instead, you can use your body to burn imprints onto the world mind.
Now, just looking around me gives me a shock - how familiar yet different the environment is in comparison to the memories of what's surrounded me for weeks.
On the flight back I watched a few movies, including Liar Game (a friend mentioned it to me, and I was intrigued. Erika Toda's character was quite annoying but the plot was not bad), and Gattaca. It's Gattaca I want to talk about.
As I seldom watch movies (I don't like watching movies in cinemas as I can't stop the movie halfway and sometimes feel trapped into lousy movies), I don't have a lot of favourites, but Gattaca has made the list.
I never saved anything for the swim back.
Gattaca. Vincent scrubbing his skin away on the beach moved me - how one can be made ashamed of one's own body. I saw a review describing the movie as poetry, and it is.
I also really liked the style of this movie. It was described on wiki as film noir, as I've seen Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow sometimes described. I've decided I really like movies in this style, whatever it is - perhaps it's the 1940s style(?) or steampunk.
It is somewhat annoying to be home, as now I've to settle all my subject combination and flight tickets for Canada and Korea stuff. Back to real life.
Now, just looking around me gives me a shock - how familiar yet different the environment is in comparison to the memories of what's surrounded me for weeks.
On the flight back I watched a few movies, including Liar Game (a friend mentioned it to me, and I was intrigued. Erika Toda's character was quite annoying but the plot was not bad), and Gattaca. It's Gattaca I want to talk about.
As I seldom watch movies (I don't like watching movies in cinemas as I can't stop the movie halfway and sometimes feel trapped into lousy movies), I don't have a lot of favourites, but Gattaca has made the list.
I never saved anything for the swim back.
Gattaca. Vincent scrubbing his skin away on the beach moved me - how one can be made ashamed of one's own body. I saw a review describing the movie as poetry, and it is.
I also really liked the style of this movie. It was described on wiki as film noir, as I've seen Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow sometimes described. I've decided I really like movies in this style, whatever it is - perhaps it's the 1940s style(?) or steampunk.
It is somewhat annoying to be home, as now I've to settle all my subject combination and flight tickets for Canada and Korea stuff. Back to real life.
Labels: europe, film noir, gattaca, holiday, movies, music, retro, the grand tour
Post a Comment